Career Building STEM Workers are Diverting from STEM Careers
Retaining Career Builders
Experienced STEM workers are co-creators of an organization’s knowledge, culture, and economic sustainability; they are invaluable. However, as of 2010, more than 20% of all STEM degree holders at 10 years out from graduation, when their careers are dynamically evolving and they are making a significant contribution, were diverting into a STEM-Competitor career or other career where STEM knowledge, skills, and abilities are desirable. Combined with Baby Boomer retirements, diversion of experienced STEM workers is creating a challenging shortage of seasoned, highly talented staff. The STEM worker pipeline is leaking…heavily.
Women Divert from STEM Careers in High Numbers
Women are profoundly under-represented in most traditional STEM careers; only 12% of women undergraduates hold a STEM degree. Within two years of graduating, nearly 60% of those women have diverted to other careers. At 10 years out from graduation, the attrition for women is 75%. For women who graduated with a STEM degree, only 25% who graduated with a STEM degree—just 3%—are still working in a STEM career.
The significant diversion of experienced STEM workers is creating a troubling shortage of seasoned, highly talented staff in traditional STEM careers. Combined with Baby Boomer STEM worker retirements, our STEM worker pipeline is leaking, heavily, with significant losses of institutional knowledge, experience integrating theory and practical application, and long-term collaborative relationships.
Agency for Employees with Experience
We are committed to plugging the STEM worker pipeline leak. Our consulting and coaching work with individuals and organization enables experienced STEM workers to re-engage and to re-energize their careers to create a satisfying path forward—in their existing position or organization or other opportunities. Our consulting and coaching services include:
- One-on-one and group coaching to support recruiting and retention of women scientists, engineers, and technicians.
- Accelerated New Hire Integration® for newly hired experienced staff
- Career ownership and management.
- CV and resume development.
- Employee engagement, performance and retention.
- Professional and personal development.
- Promotion preparation and transition.
- Stress and lifestyle management.
- English language skills and professional and technical writing support for ESL workers.